Every spring Hawthorne Books decides whether to have a summer internship or not. Summer is the slowest month in the world of publishing and so we often scale back to just HB staff. We’re doing that this summer (we always have our fall, winter and spring internships) so the last couple weeks of our spring internship were a big push to get all of the review copies out for our fall titles – The Luminist & Aftermath – as well as to get all of our award submissions out for our 2011 titles – ...Forward
Notes on reading, writing, books & publishing
As a Hawthorne Books intern, a hopeful future book editor, a person with an English degree, and a self-proclaimed bibliophile, it is embarrassing for me to admit, but I don’t always have time for books. Don’t get me wrong, I always have time for books as an idea, as a conversation topic, as a table decoration, but between my busy work schedule, my social life, and my attempts to go to the gym, I don’t always have time to read them.
I am not proud of this. In fact, more times than I can...Forward
Let’s face it: we’re lucky to live here. It seems that Portland’s enormously rich literary landscape just keeps expanding, and the latest addition to a long list of amazing industry resources is a brand new community center for the arts. Crow Arts Manor, located in NoPo’s Milepost 5 art community, opened its doors this April 10th.
- Crow Arts Manor
- 850 NE 81st Avenue, No. 114, Portland OR 97213
Ooligan Press is hosting its third annual Write to Publish conference!
Ooligan is a student run, non-profit trade press, operating in conjunction with PSU’s Master in Writing and Publishing program and they are passionate about publishing. The two-day conference is designed to demystify the publishing process for writers, and will offer workshops and lectures from published authors who are chock-full of sage advice. Speakers will include Oregon Book Award winners David Biespiel and Willy...Forward
- Ooligan Press' Write to Publish Conference
- 369 Neuberger Hall, Portland State University
- 724 SW Harrison Street, Portland OR 97201
- Thursday, 05 May 2011 :: 7.00 pm
- Elliott Bay Book Company | 1521 10th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98122. T: 206-624-6600 :: Lidia Yuknavitch reads from The Chronology of Water.
- Monday, 09 May 2011 :: 7.00 pm
- The Rumpus :: Lidia Yuknavitch and Cheryl Strayed to read from their work for The Rumpus Monthly Reading Series.
- Thursday, 02 June 2011 :: 7.00 - 8.00 pm
- Broadway Books | 1714 NE Broadway, Portland, OR 97232 T: 503-284-1726. :: Lidia Yuknavitch reads from her memoir, The Chronology of Water. ...Forward